________________________________
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Lionel B. Dyck <lbd...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, June 4, 2021 7:39 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: git clone w/o mainframe internet access

I agree with Dave - find a local hosting option and host your own git server.
There are some options that work on z/OS but you may have more success if you
can get a spare Linux server (real or virtual) and install the git server
there. I have just tried several and was unable to successfully find one that
worked under z/OS as I had several challenges with each.

My solution was to get a virtual Linux server, install SLES (our standard), and
then download and install the GitLab (go to https://about.gitlab.com/install/
and find your flavor of Linux). The setup was easy and we now have a full
inhouse self-hosted Git server.

Then what you can do is to clone from the internet to your pc and then clone
that from your pc to your inhouse git server. From there you can use the OMVS
git client to clone to z/OS.

A few more steps than you probably wanted but it works.

Lionel B. Dyck <><
Website: https://www.lbdsoftware.com
Github: https://github.com/lbdyck

“Worry more about your character than your reputation. Character is what you
are, reputation merely what others think you are.”   - - - John Wooden