From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Rob
Scott [rsc...@rocketsoftware.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 1, 2021 5:47 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SDSF TMP

When you execute PGM=SDSF, the initialization logic determines the environment
where it has been invoked from and for the entry point of "SDSF" this can be
either as a TSO command, a batch jobstep program and as a TMP. Other valid SDSF
environments require different entry points (for example "ISFISP" for ISPF).
FWIW we use GTSIZE returning zero for the "SDSF" entry point to determine if
running as batch job.

Whether running as a TSO command or a TMP, the code path is the same.

I believe that the original reason to run SDSF as a TMP was to enables
customers to give remote operators access to SDSF functionality without
providing other TSO command functionality. As the decades have passed this is
probably not as frequently used as before, however I imagine that using SDSF
this way in a emergency situation might be useful.

Scanning the SDSF manuals finds a lack of explicit documentation for running
SDSF as a TMP. I am unsure whether we have dropped documentation for this over
the years, or if it was never explicitly stated in the manuals.

I will attempt to get the manual updated as this is a supported environment.

Rob Scott
Rocket Software