FWIW

(a) I wrote this thing in 1988 just for my use. But I gave out copies of
it to anyone who wanted it.
(b) All it does is update the PDS directory to contain alias pointers to
whatever member is to be aliased. Hence any DSN RECFM/BLKSIZE is irrelevant.
(c) Reporting invalid SYSIN cards is easily done by replicating its
WRITEREC macro - calling it, say, WRITERR - and then updating WRITERR to
write the invalid SYSIN card to DDNAME=REPORTS + updating the source
code to invoke WRITERR etc. I did not bother with this, because invalid
SYSIN cards can be deduced from their not being in the valid cards'
report.
(d) AFAIK I always used LKED and SYSLIN cards to alias LMODs, as that
was the quickest way to do it at the time. I have no direct access to a
mainframe (other than a P/390 that takes 40 mins to IPL) and cannot
verify whether PGM=ALIASPDS would alias LMODs. I would expect it to, but
without verification.
(e) Yes, alias names can be any characters (except spaces) and do not
have to be printable characters - same as SVC LMOD names.

HTH. Cheers, Chris Poncelet (r)