For our COBOL program binder step we've never specified the RENT (or REUS=RENT)
option, even though we always use the RENT compiler option.  This has never
seemed to cause us any problems.  I now see in the Enterprise COBOL manual,
section "Compiling programs to create
DLLs"(https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/cobol-zos/6.3?topic=application-compiling-programs-create-dlls),
 where it states "Applications that use DLL support must be reentrant.
Therefore, you must compile them with the RENT compiler option and link them
with the RENT binder option."  However, I've been doing testing with DLLs
recently and have never had any (noticeable?) issues even though we are not
specifying RENT or REUS=RENT.

So what's up with this?  And what about for non-DLL dynamic calls?  I've had no
issues there, either.