On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 09:05:57 -0700, Donald J. wrote:

>> I suspect that in your case, the data set was not allocated
>> statically in JCL, as in Monika's case, but dynamically
>> by the temsnote script.
>No, one static dataset.  Tivoli situation alerts kick off started
>tasks (all single threaded through same started task name)
>and all use the same .TEMSNOTE z/OS file. $mfile is a 1 line
>single record OMVS file.

I still doubt that you test closely resembles Monika's?  I have no
idea beyond what you state what Tivoli does.  It's easy to
suspect that there more players in the game than you've
describe -- concurrent started tasks, etc.

Are you willing to exhibit the JCL that incurred the error?

Did your JCL contain a static allocation (DD statement) of the
problem data set in a step _after the BPXBATCH step?

Instead, I have simplified Monika's sample JCL:
//
//MONIKA    JOB  505303JOB,'Paul Gilmartin',
// MSGLEVEL=(1,1),REGION=0M
//*
//USERC    OUTPUT JESDS=ALL,DEFAULT=YES,
//  CLASS=R,PAGEDEF=V0648Z,CHARS=GT12
//*
//STEP01  EXEC PGM=BPXBATCH
//STDOUT   DD  SYSOUT=*
//STDERR   DD  SYSOUT=*
//STDPARM  DD  *
SH cp /etc/services "//TEMP.TEST.DATASET"; sleep 2
/*
//STDENV DD *
_BPX_SHAREAS=YES
_BPX_SPAWN_SCRIPT=YES
/*
//STEP02 EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//DD01    DD DSN=&SYSUID..TEMP.TEST.DATASET,DISP=SHR
//
     :w ! submit $MVS_HOST

The output:

-sh:0+ cp /etc/services //TEMP.TEST.DATASET
cp: FSUM6259 target file "//TEMP.TEST.DATASET": EDC5061I An error occurred when
-sh:0+ sleep 2

I replaced the script with inline commands.  Do you believe
that makes a difference?

I used an existing UNIX file instead of creating one.  Do you believe
that makes a difference?

If you care to modify the JCL above until it displays the
behavior you report, I'll test it.

Your move,
gil