Good to know.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Mario Bezzi
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2021 11:29 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: COBOL and LE version question

As far as I know all the interactions between an application program and
the hosting z/OS are mediated by LE. If this is true, then the real
question is if LE provides upward/downward compatibility.

For the former, the answer is obviously yes. Regarding the latter,
according to the LE Programming Guide - Chapter 2. "Preparing to
link-edit and run under Language Environment - Downward Compatibility" -
it does.

"As of OS/390 Version 2 Release 10, Language Environment provides
downward compatibility support. Assuming that required programming
guidelines and restrictions are observed, this support enables
programmers to develop applications on higher release levels of the
operating system, for deployment on execution platforms that are running
lower release levels of the operating system."

I hope this helps,
mario