On Fri, 27 Aug 2021 19:14:33 +0000, Holst, Jeffrey A  wrote:

>I am thinking that at one time I read that if a data set is allocated (IEFBR14
>perhaps) but has yet to be opened it will be missing the end of file
>indicator, which can cause problems for a program that reads it.

"at one time" means "prior to SMS", I believe.  And it might be the
responsibility
of the program or access method to check DS1LSTAR.  QSAM might do that
betterr than BSAM.

>Am I remembering correctly, or is my old brain making this up? Hey, I'm 70 I
>have an excuse if my memory is failing.

At one time I made it my custom to allocate data sets with primary space 0.  EOV
processing always reports EOF properly.

Things are getting better, only very slowly.  And some Windows editors still
write
0x1A at the end of every file for combustibility with CP/M.

-- gil