I don't know about now, and it was the other Sort product. My very first
screw-up of production data was pointing SORTIN and SORTOUT at the same
dataset, It was a SORT operation. In the early 80s. The step successfully read
all the data, closed for input, opened for output and die for lack of region, I
guess while allocating the output buffers.
Ands, at least in those days, this resulted in the tape being closed with an
EOF mark right at the front.