From:   "Hobart Spitz" <orexx...@gmail.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Date:   23/09/2021 04:18
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: The Business Case for Pipes in the z/OS
Base (was: Re: REXX - Interpret or Value - Which is better?)
Sent by:        "IBM Mainframe Discussion List" <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

Paul said:
>  I'm guessing the atypical case is a stage such as FANOUT which
necessarily
copies the data.

Not sure what you mean by atypical.  FANOUT is typical in the respect that
it doesn't create an actual copy of the input record.  It just looks like
it.  FANOUT, and non-record-changing stages, pass the same input record
pointer to their downstream stage(s).  This is what makes Pipes so
efficient.  No working set expansion and less reloading of just purged
cache data.

OREXXMan
Would you rather pass data in move mode (*nix piping) or locate mode
(Pipes) or via disk (JCL)?  Why do you think you rarely see *nix commands
with more than a dozen filters, while Pipelines specifications are
commonly
over 100s of stages, and 1000s of stages are not uncommon.
IBM has been looking for an HLL for program products; REXX is that
language.

https://mainframeperformancetopics.com

https://anchor.fm/marna-walle

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu_65HaYgksbF6Q8SQ4oOvA