----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Mills" <charl...@mcn.org>
To: <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 11:19 AM

column 1 is reserved for carriage control.  That seems to conflate source code
with SYSPRINT.

It does seem to, but in fact PL/I supports source listing formatting using ANSI
carriage control.

"The MARGINS option specifies which part of each compiler input record contains
PL/I statements, and the position of the ANS control character that formats the
listing, ..."

 -- PL/I P/G

At some stage, the preprocessor commands %PAGE and %SKIP were
introduced to improve source listings.  Maybe they were always there,
but I have a vague recollection that at some stage it was not necessary
to have the preprocessir activated to make them work.

---