On Wed, 29 Sep 2021 19:47:59 -0400, James Crudele wrote:

>You can try this:
>
>//LISTDIR  EXEC PGM=IKJEFT01,
>//      PARM='HFSDIRC / /SERVICE'
>//*
>//SYSPROC  DD   DISP=SHR,DSN=SYS1.SBPXEXEC
>//         DD   DISP=SHR,DSN=userid.TEST.REXX
>//SYSTSPRT DD   SYSOUT=*
>//SYSTSIN  DD   DUMMY
>//*
>//*
>
>Then do some data manipulation. I sort with file manager.

The "du" command is inadequate for what the OP requested.  It gives only
a rough estimate (in blocks) of the total size of the files within a directory.
Thee content can have equal size but differ radically.

HFSDIRC may have served some purpose when iit was written; it's
irrelevant here.

Why do you continue to embellish a travesty when a thorough solution
had been posted hours earlier?  (It's long; I haven't reviewed  it, but
its author has long ago earned my trust.)

>> On Sep 29, 2021, at 16:21, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 29 Sep 2021 15:47:42 -0400, James Crudele wrote:
>>
>>> /* Rexx HFSDIRC */
>>> parse arg dir1 dir2 junk
>>> dir1  = strip(dir1)
>>> dir2  = strip(dir2)
>>> if dir1 = "" or dir2 = "" then do
>>>  say "Two directories must be specified"
>>>  exit 4
>>> end
>>> "oshell du "dir1" > /tmp/lsdir1"
>>> "oshell du "dir2" > /tmp/lsdir2"
>>> "oget '/tmp/lsdir1' 'userid.DIR1'"
>>> "oget '/tmp/lsdir2' 'userid.DIR2'"
>>>
>> Where do you do the compare?
>>
>> "du" reports only the total number of blocks in each directory.
>> I suspect the OP wanted greater precision.
>>
>> What if the directories have non-portable names?
>>
>> This would be more legible with less typing if you omit the TSO commands
>> and run an OMVS exec.

-- gil