>alpha bravo charlie delta echo fox-trot golf hotel india juliet kilo
>lima mike november oscar papa quebec romeo sierra tango uniform victor
>whisky x-ray yankee zulu

In the older days there were more amateur radio operators among us. We
("radio hams") use a somewhat mixed set of phonetics, but not too mixed,
and slightly different for various users. The result is generally
understood world wide (by "hams") and has been effective for a LONG time.
(More than 60 years for me.)

One common variation is the use of country names where it seems
reasonable. For example, "Norway" instead of "November."

And my description of "radio hams" is primarily for the short wave, long
distance types of hams. There are other types whose phonetic usage is
different.

Bill
whiskey 2 whiskey oscar