FWIW I’ve been looking at the offerings to glean the possible uses for open
source development.  This is my take on investigation and some discussion with
IBM through their chat mechanism.

IMHO, IBM can eliminate confusion by defining some terms and expectations like
what does development mean?  What are you getting in terms of GCP entitlement?
Dependencies on use of Parallel Sysplex.

If your looking at doing any work that involved development and sharing that
code it appears that Personal Edition is the entry point.  Learners Edition is
a good step forward but leaves a significant gap for those that want to leanr
mainframe and contribute their IP (code) openly under an open license and
through public means like Git.

There are four editions

Learners
Personal
Enterprise
Parallel Sysplex

Qhat seems clear on all editions is that you cannot:
* Run production workload
* Distribute compiled code built on ZD&T.  They must be compiled on real
hardware.

*Thoughts*
- I could not find references to the number of CPs entitled for Learners and
Personal.  I presume that this is part of the negotiated price for Enterprise
and Parallel Sysplex.
- It seems that if you want to run Parallel Sysplex you need Enterprise for
z/OS and Parallel Sysplex.  I couldn’t find a statement clearly articulating
this but it seems that this makes sense given the packaging.

Only the first two have prices on the website.

*The learners is $120/yr*
Entitlement period: 1-year
Development: No

This item is targeted at people that want to learn administration or develop
programming skills for z/OS middleware.  Its not for someone who wants to
develop code to be sold or used for distribution (commercial or open source).

What is unclear is whether you could post your source you developed on Git or
other public venues.  It is a learner’s edition so it would seem reasonable
that if you wrote some useful Rexx, Assembler or other tool that you could
share it.  I don’t see this distinction clearly spelled out.  Binary artifacts
of your code like load modules are clearly not in scope.

*Personal is ~$5,800 for a 1-year license*
Entitlement Period: 1 year with an option to pay double up front for a
perpetual license
Development: Yes

Single User only
Does not include Parallel Sysplex (only a single z/OS instance).
Uses Hardware Keys (although this was unclear to me as in many cases the
website indicates these USBs have been deprecated).

*Enterprise*
Entitlement Period: 1 Year
Multi-User

*Parallel Sysplex*
Entitlement Period: 1 Year
Multi-User

Includes z/VM for CF emulation.  It wasn’t clear if z/VM was only for CF for
z/OS or one could use if for VSE or other operating systems.

Matt Hogstrom
PGP key 0F143BC1