All the conversions I did were for companies in France.

The first one was to convert SAS/C to IBM/C as the SAS stopped supporting their
C compiler.
There were a number of SAS/C functions that I had to create going to IBM/C.
Some I wrote in C. The others I wrote in assembler.
It really helped that I had fairly deep z/OS internals.
I also knew the C language very well.
I had already used SAS/C and IBM/C.

The other conversions were from assembler to COBOL.
In most cases, I had to understand the program before grinding out COBOL code.
When you are dealing with addresses and DSECTs, it gets tricky porting that to
COBOL using POINTERs.

In most cases, it was difficult work.

If you aren't an expert in assembler and/or don't know COBOL well, you are
asking for trouble.
Regards, Pierre