The lack of  an escape  convention for command  separators is bad, but
otherwise the syntax is decent.

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin <0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2021 1:47 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Piping under ISPF

On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 11:16:06 -0600, Hobart Spitz wrote:

>Cross posted to IBM-MAIN, TSO REXX, and Pipelines.
>
> The ISPF stacking character can be set to "|", but TSO tries to execute
>the passed stack data after each command.  If that could be disabled, data
>could be passed from program to program, providing a stack based piping
>capability.
>    Does anyone know how to disable stack data being executed?
>    Could it be a viable requirement candidate to have two command
>delimiters, one that executed the stack and one that didn't?

TSO lexical syntax is a misdesign.  Other languages I use such as
Rexx, POSIX shell, C, ... use ';' as a command separator.  If it occurs
in a quoted string it behaves as ordinary text.  TSO/ISPF provides
no such way of escaping metacharacters; only choice of an
alternative separator.  (I've used '¾', keeping one on my desktop
so I can copy/paste it.)

CMS Pipelines is worse, motivated by the impoverished lexical
syntax and tokenization of CP and CMS.

-- gil