On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 13:38:17 -0800, Charles Mills  wrote:

>Okay, I get it, but this ship is not very ship-shape.
>
>Seeing as DSN=&MYPRM means what it means, then when IBM introduced variable
>symbols they should have used && or % or something, not a single ampersand.
>Yeah, yeah, that boat has departed the dock.

Alas, that boat was laden to the gunwales.  In 1965(?) I could have coded any
arbitrary string, e.g. PARM='FOO&SYSUID.BAR' and expected that literal
string to be passed to my PGM.  Symbol substitution had breakage: today
that means  PARM='FOOgilBAR'.  Breakage could have been avoided only
by using some construct previously not syntactically permitted.  There was
none such.

>The IEFC657I does not really do the job though, does it? If I have PROC
>MYPARM='SYS1.FOO' and mistakenly code DSN=&MYPRM then I will not get an
>error on it assuming I have also coded something=&MYPARM elsewhere in the
>PROC. Right?
>
>I think I still say that two wrongs don't make a right. Flagging what (I
>say) should be a non-error is not the answer to some other coding mistake.
>If someone codes DSN=&MYPRM the error will show up somewhere, either as a
>DSN not found or as a "can't catalog a temp DSN" or something.

-- gil