We use MacKinney's JQP. You put the output on the SPOOL like normal, with a
DEST=. JQP is a started task which uses the JES API to read the output. It
then uses the LPR protocol over IP to send the output to LPR printers,
Windows print servers, and a product called RPM (I think) which runs on
Windows and transcribes the LPR print output into a Windows file. I don't
know much about RPM, but we use it for our report distribution system:
Report to Web. JQP works well for us, and is inexpensive.

LRS has VPS/TCPIP.

An "RYO" solution by writing your own external writer type routine is
likely not the wisest move. You'd need to write your own routines to read
the SPOOL, and then communicate to the remote end via a protocol such as
LPR over TCPIP. I'm not saying its impossible, just not as simple as
writing to a disk file.

If you need a "freebie", then there is the every unpopular IBM Network
Print Server, which is part of Communictions Server (TCPIP/VTAM). I
actually got this working once. It stinks like Limburger cheese left in a
closed up car in the Texas summer heat, but it did work.

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/F1A1G310/CCONTENTS