food for thought: while the RMF III data stores are internally compressed, there appears to be some opportunity for reducing the archived data set's physical size. In testing a sample data store, REPRO of it to a SMS generic compression file saw a reduction of 38% and tailored compression saw a reduction of 55%. Testing of zEDC remains to be done, but from past experience, I would guess the compression to be 70%-80%.

Note that these would have to be restored to VSAM format for the RMF III ISPF dialog to work against them. Inventorying the contents of either the VSAM or non-VSAM format can be done by processing the first physical record in the file (DSIG3 - Data Set Index, not compressed) which contains the from/to date/time stamps of the MINTIME sample sets within the data store. If need be, following that will be the service policy (un-compressed SVPG3 data structure) in effect when recording started to the data store.

Michael