On Thu, 6 Jan 2022, at 08:53, David Crayford wrote:

> It's insulting to call young people prima donna's just because they
> don't want to use 3270 or JCL.

Absolutely.  But what's a decent alternative to JCL?

I know (because 20+ years ago I did so) one can replace job steps with
JCL-controlled allocation by rexx steps which dynamically allocate datasets
and invoke the program that would otherwise have been the job-step pgm,
but it was only useful in limited situations.

The jobs concerned were in essence single step ones, with a few trailer
steps doing housekeepng stuff only if the main step worked.

If the main step couldn't allocate the datasets it needed (in a try, wait a
while, retry loop) they'd stop and some time later be resubmitted by
the job scheduler after - hopefully - whatever had stopped them from
getting the required files was no longer true.

But I can't imagine a typical batch job with tens or a hundred+ steps being
set up like that unless of course the whole suite of jobs was expressly
designed with this in mind from the start.

So if someone prefers shell scripts to JCL, that might be ok for personal
work, but how does it work with a scheduler and job-restarts?

Isn't JCL already a really good tool for what it does?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.