From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Charles Mills [charl...@mcn.org]
Sent: Friday, January 7, 2022 9:25 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ... Re: Top 8 Reasons for using Python instead of REXX for z/OS

Wait a minute! RECFM and JCL are different problems. You could write a
marvelous modern replacement for JCL but if you were going to deal with "3390"
(note the quotation marks) DASD you would need RECFM, LRECL and BLKSIZE (or, if
you prefer, RecFormat, RecLen and BlockSize). And JCL can be used to reference
zFS files, and then RECFM, etc. pretty much goes away, even if the rest of JCL
does not.

I'm not defending either one; just saying they are separate problems.

Charles