(Subject: and content trimmed.)
On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 09:41:23 -0800, Tom Brennan wrote:
>finally pushed me over:  I ran a small performance test and Rexx beat
>CLIST by about 1000 times if I remember correctly.  So I pulled out the
>Rexx manuals.

Back in the day when fiche was available I ran a code coverage tool on a
CLIST with a "do very little" loop.  The preponderance of time was spent
in CALL/RETURN from "get one source character" routine.  Great
structure; lousy performance.  I assume they never heard of macros.

CLIST performance was supposed to improve with TSO/E R2 and code
reusable between Rexx/CLIST, but no fiche.

What didn't your "small performance test" do?

-- gil