That is a nice sentiment but my experience in open source is that in-depth
security evaluation is not done that frequently;  it should be but sadly it is
not.  Log4j has been sitting there for a while and even though  people saw the
ability to execute remote code locally it didn’t have an aha moment until
recently.

I think it is still better in the open for the reasons you stated but some are
done more aggressively than others.

Matt Hogstrom
m...@hogstrom.org
+1-919-656-0564

“To achieve great things two things are needed: a plan, and not quite enough
time.”
- Leonard Bernstein