From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Lloyd Fuller
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2013 8:16 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Linking to MVS standard linkage function from Rexx

I think you are safer that way.

We have code that does the __cinit() call for our Metal C routines that is
in a separate routine that never gets compiled with "normal" C.  I see no
reason why you could not put it into your function and use #ifdefs to not
compile it when you are using "standard" C.  And our define for the Metal C
compiles and #ifdefs is METAL_C so it is obvious which code is specific to
that compile.

Two warnings:  since you are going to different platforms with your product,
make sure you do a static compile and bind with the Metal C.  We ran into
issues compiling on z/OS 1.12 and trying to run on 1.11.  Once we did things
static we were fine on both platforms.  Also, if you are going to use
64-bit, there is a documentation issue in the __cinit() sample code.  You do
NOT need to cast the return from the __cinit() call for 64-bit or 32-bit.
You will get compile errors if you try it use the sample code as it.