Charles Mills wrote:
>Easy question. Herman Hollerith wanted them to feel familiar, so he made them
>the size of a US Federal bill.

True. Although I was surprised to learn from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card that they’re not *quite* the size of
an old bill:
At some point, 31⁄4 by 73⁄8 inches (82.550 by 187.325 mm) became the standard
card size, a bit larger than the United States one-dollar
bill<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_one-dollar_bill> of the time
(the dollar was changed to its current size in 1929). The Columbia site says
Hollerith took advantage of available boxes designed to transport paper
currency.

And the link to the US one-dollar bill says they were
(approximately 7.4218 × 3.125 in ≅ 189 × 79 mm)
But hey, what’s a silly millimeter here and there? Using the same boxes makes
more sense than trying to really make them the exact size Just Because – the US
Mint wasn’t exactly making the cards, so what would have been the point?

ObAnecdote: My dad also carried cards in his pocket for notes. He’d always
heard the story about the size, but had never checked it. One day while
visiting New York City, he was walking in lower Manhattan and saw a coin store.
Taped to the inside of the window was an old bill, so he whipped out a card and
held it up. Sure enough, it appeared to be the same size.

…phsiii