I know which cert has the problem.  It's the CICS SITE certificate which has serverAuth only in the extKeyUsage extension.

What I'm trying to understand is IF the criticality flag is false AND the app recognizes the extension is it REQUIRED to honor the restrictions of said extension (if indeed there are restrictions).

From what I've read, IF the app DOES NOT recognize the extension and IF the flag is TRUE, then the app MUST reject the cert.  Further, IF the app DOES NOT recognize the extension AND the flag is FALSE, then the app can IGNORE the extension.  However, I cannot determine (or comprehend what I'm reading) that IF the app recognizes the extension AND the flag is FALSE, is it REQUIRED to honor restrictions (or is it simply up to the app to make a decision - honor or not).