From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin [0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, March 9, 2022 11:47 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Rexx copy to OMVS

On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 16:26:36 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>address SYSTEM mycmd myopts WITH INPUT foo OUTPUT FIFO
>address SYSTEM mycmd myopts WITH INPUT foo OUTPUT STEM bar.
>address SYSTEM mycmd myopts WITH INPUT foo OUTPUT STEM bar. ERROR APPEND baz

Each of those is synchronous, not returning control to the Rexx scriipt
until "mycmd myopts" terminates, not suitable for a long-running command.

(Isn't myopts merely part  of the command string?)

>Why won't popen let you redirect both stdin and stdout? Or all three?

Desirable, but entailing synchronization problems unless Rexx were
also to provide the lacking SYSCAL SELECT:

<https://secure-web.cisco.com/1DRefECC2oZAuUy07BTqqULOi5BWpTRjE1YzaoJUi5iQr-m4qNgCXBzb6ahZOYtX9F59cqxdALciiFBYa7quyrppYYEeL3up7VXSvvnQfjq_o8s8xLHENi9HZnmhX1rBuL8EUQY7Wk6x0IZX3d5-764g4NmxyYmdFBaE1UmQxHkvnCC4cc3zt6gjxAeUe7SSNyu0OJdnvqSwIcsV48N1MjLRTFCleqf6baummYarH56QP8WhHTpq-xlPhKORcxW8Ikl_E_NuCYecqqifnA_64r67FxAdVteXrUX9EQSS5weZocA_ksSLYSommj6HNNYZQ-TJEv3yKJKERWooOVZxipkRCJ9r73WUrDLYb790Vac2LhmyURyssBevH43YclAsXuKFXEzaVOHSKaZEUIIDJi3WWmZ5E5IlCx5zL_VYgMa7XVVjVbJ0XpJWtebtYkc6B/https%3A%2F%2Fpubs.opengroup.org%2Fonlinepubs%2F9699919799%2Ffunctions%2Fpselect.html%23tag_16_400>

--
gil