At the risk of writing like an architect, let's pause to consider that the
problem might be more than a one-off problem. DB2 might be one important
ingredient in consistently delivering a particular business outcome, but
it's probably only one ingredient among several.

If the problem statement is, "I want to make sure I'm consistently
delivering a particular business outcome -- meeting my service level
agreement(s), in particular -- and I want to find out quickly where the
problem is if there is a problem and, preferably, automatically correct it"
then the point-level approaches aren't going to go very far. Yes, we're
probably talking about an end-to-end service management solution of some
kind here. One example is Tivoli Business Service Manager for z/OS at the
highest level, with drill-down capabilities below that. There are others.
Automation of some kind would be important, I would think.

In other words, I'm sympathetic to the "So what if DB2 is up-and-running if
the network is down and nobody can get to it" sort of issues. If you're
addressing the general problem statement it's highly likely you've got DB2
well covered. I like the idea of addressing several issues simultaneously
once and once well, if possible.

Timothy Sipples
GMU VCT Architect Executive (Based in Singapore)
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com