I wasn't actually talking about using a symbol (as in system symbol)... but
referring to the  unix command create symbolic link.
ln -s [OPTIONS] FILE LINK

and that is why I was proposing a SYMLINK.  but I am not tied to the name
if it causes confusion.  ALIASLINK works.. or something like it.

I am much more interested in the underlying functionality and
creating something useful for helping sysprogs and other manage catalogs.

Rob