From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin [0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2022 8:28 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: PL/I question

On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 19:50:12 +0800, David Crayford wrote:

>> That may well be. I stand by my claim that it is a common source of errors.
>
>I agree. Which is why a lot of C programmers used to used to code if
>statements with no lvalues:
>
>if (3 = foo) ...

A similar practice applies to Shell test.  Code:
    if [ 3 = $foo ] ...
rather than:
    if [ $foo = 3 ] ...
lest $foo evaluate to a unary operator.  The habit of writing the constant on
the
right may come from natural languages where "is" can denote either identity
or set membership.

I favor ":=", a typographically asymmetric operator for a semantically
asymmetric operation.

It's unfortunate that ASCII doesn't contain "←".  Some languages assign
rightward -- "GIVING or "→".

--
gil