On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 20:18:18 +0000, Pommier, Rex <rpomm...@sfgmembers.com>
wrote:

>Hi list,
>
>Should I be concerned about the amount of resources Cobol 6.3 is occasionally
>using as compared to 4.2?
No. But you have to cater for the requirements...

>  I have one particular example that was brought to our attention due to the
> fact that we ran out of page space in our small shop.  I finally got it to
> compile after tripling my page space.  It is a CICS program and is only 11270
> lines long.  I am compiling with Expediter, but have optimization(0)
> configured so there is no additional compile-time processing being done to
> optimize the load module.   I removed Expediter and still had the issues.
> Here are my comparisons.  Has anybody else seen this kind of huge increase?

Yes. Except that we are using maximum options for optimization. So, yes, you
pay more for the compile, but that is compensated many times over at execution
time.
I have to recommend you do use optimization and that you carefully study the
different compile options that drive optimization (OPT, TUNE, ARCH, ...). There
is a lot (an I mean A LOT) of CPU consumption to be saved at execution time.

> 2 seconds to 23-31 minutes is insane.

Yes, but I think that is because of paging kicking in, I guess. Is there not
more physical storage available so as to avoid paging?

Cheers,

Jantje.