From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of Tom
Longfellow
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2022 4:04 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: General Query --- Any comments on thin clients as mainframe consoles.

We are looking at retiring the coax connected consoles and terminals at our
site.

The obvious answer is an OSA-ICC with ethernet connected tn3270 devices.

Anybody have a glowing recommendation for the replacement device for the
classic 3270 "green screen"  workstation console?

I am trying to avoid any full blown PC workstation with external internet
connectivity issues.  I want an 'appliance' that we plug-in,  configure and
come back in a few years.
These leads me away from windows based solutions because of their constant
cycle of reboots to install mandatory and recommended maintenance.   And if a
full function PC is provided, I know that the operators will swap screens and
miss that one important message that just highlighted on the console.   I have
some Linux appliances for other purposes that have a 2+ year uptime and don't
wake me up at night with failures.   I reboot THEM when I get an itch.

My urge is to set up a hub between the OSA-ICC and the workstation devices.
Air-gapped from the rest of the world.  Again, any other suggestions are
welcomed.

attachments from your system.