Long ago, like MVT and the 1st MVS days, application programmers would
allocate (IEFBR14, or just typos in JCL) datasets that were never opened.  They
lacked an EOF mark. These would use space and cause problems with various
automated or manual clean-up efforts. And, residual data was accessible if  you
knew how,
   Creation of new GDSs also needed a model DSCB.
   Well before I started working here (41 years come August), the Sysprogs of
the time wrote PGM=OPENCLSE. Which scanned the TIOT for =C'DD', opening and
closing all DDNAMEs of the form DDxxxxxx.
  When used, this helped, but still such errors continued and part of periodic,
manual DASD management was to search and destroy these wasters of space, and
DASD wasn't cheap back then
   Sometime in the 90s, we implemented SMS management for the application data.
   Implementing a default DATACLAS ended the issues of no EOF (and the model
DSCB need), and use of PGM=OPENCLSE has depreciated. I still use it for
clearing  a multivolume, non-SMS SMF dataset.

  My fading memory tells me that we also solved the issue of large allocations
not RLSE'd then, but empirical evidence is that such allocations still occur on
my system.    However, they are not an issue because, as noted earlier, both
DFHSM and FDR/ABR can routinely release such over allocated space.

  As I look, I see that partial release is a function available via MGMTCLAS,
times have changed, I may turn it on in my default MGMTCLAS and evaluate the
impact.