You will need to check which management class manages this dataset.  Then,
while in ISMF, all the attributes of the MANAGEMENT class is displayed.It has
been a few years since I worked with HSM.  Maybe someone else could correct any
of my erroneous statements if I made any.Good LuckWillie.

    On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 08:48:54 p.m. EDT, Frank Swarbrick
<frank.swarbr...@outlook.com> wrote:

 Is there a particular "rule" I might be looking for?
________________________________
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
willie bunter <0000001409bd2345-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 7, 2022 12:28 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: HSM backups and CICS VSAM files,

Take a look at the management class.  This is where the backup rules are reside.
Willie

    On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 12:11:38 p.m. EDT, Frank Swarbrick
<frank.swarbr...@outlook.com> wrote:

 As a developer I've come to rely on using HSM to restore prior day's data from
production files where we don't take an explicit daily backup (as it's
un-needed for normal business processing).  Some of these files are files that
are open to CICS.  I find that HSM backs them up on some days but not on other
days.  Is there a specific cause of this behavior?  The file (one particular
one, but there are others) is open to CICS and being updated constantly
throughout the day.

Thanks,
Frank