On Wed, 15 Jun 2022, at 05:35, Jeremy Nicoll wrote:

> That implies that the parser looks for possible ending
> delimiters before it parses the contents of the delimited
> string.
>
> It's not how I'd have designed it!  I'd have gone with
> a strict left to right character by character lexical scan.

Oops, must think more carefully.  This is what comes of
writing a reply at 5am...

I assumed, without engaging my brain, that the repeated
single quote in your example meant that ispf edit would
regard that as an escaped single quote, but apparently
it doesn't.  So if it's not considering escaped chars in a
delimited string the simpler parsing that looks first for
possible end delimiters is easier to understand.

Also, would

CHANGE PARM ""Hello," says O'Reilly."

fail because the space after the double quote after the
comma would also be taken to imply that the delimited
string ends there?  That is  "says O'Reilly." is unexpected
surplus?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.