The OP's input to sftp has "lcd /u/op117/"
and later "get EBC-GOV-yyyymmdd.txt".
If the "get" command had slashes inside yyyymmdd
then it would look like this: "get EBC-GOV-yyyy/mm/dd.txt"
and sftp would write a file named "/u/op117/dd.txt" if it found the file,
and the OGET '/u/op117/EBC-GOV-yyyymmdd.txt' command would not find the file
that sftp wrote.

I cannot read his mind, but I think the OP did not mean the slashes literally
when he said
"in this yyyymmdd should be replace with year/month/date".
The logic makes more sense if slashes are left out when the date is substituted.