From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
René Jansen [rene.vincent.jan...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2022 8:17 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Some UNIX file usage questions

Hi David,

Thanks to the pointers about the Rocket Python page being obsolete,

> On 22 Jun 2022, at 13:29, David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I don't share you pessimism about the young girls and boys. All the young
> guys I work with are technically superb and extremely diligent.

Not pessimistic at all, but I see the accidents of letting people loose on
environments they don’t know. Not knowing IMS has DB and DC, and
‘rationalizing’ the compile proc. (That was quite something when it hit
production.) Or my pet peeve at the moment, doing everything in WebSphere with
timer beans because they don’t know Java also runs in batch, and then
converting 30-minute COBOL batch jobs into 7 hour DB2 and Sysplex locking
overhead dramas. Not knowing DB2 has a load utility and deleting everything
with SQL. Not even knowing tables go in table spaces, The list goes on and on.

You cannot reduce everything that is done on z/OS to something your Raspberry
Pi can run on Linux. Because if you do, people will not see the value of the
mainframe. This will push the workloads to aws and azure and will cause the
loss of the reliability and dependability of the platform, which is a cultural
value and not a technical.

The ‘modernise the mainframe’ movement is just like the people who told us the
last mainframe would be switched off in 1997, but having failed to do that,
they are now targeting its software environment.
I am probably just as tired of this discussion as you are, but it is hard to
see people pounce on Rexx every time it is mentioned. I wish companies like
yours would work to enhance and modernise Rexx instead of porting every fad -
you know that Python is at the top of the hype cycle at the moment, and will be
replaced - just like PHP (for sysplex z/OS, did it even leave the lab?), Swift
and the ones that came before.

In any case, I promise not to discuss this again if you can promise you don’t
needlessly attack people for how they use Rexx.

Best regards,

René.