-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2022 13:06

On Wed, 29 Jun 2022 12:00:12 -0400, Bob Bridges wrote:

>    ... writing a REXX that read the raw firewall extract and created a CSV in
> about 20 seconds.  REXX makes ~very~ short work of parsing.  At the time I
> don’t think I knew VBScript, but it surely would have been harder.

For that sort of thing, I generally rely on "awk".  PARSE and regex have
considerable overlap.

>    ... Again, I see REXX's most valuable strength as parsing strings.
> Occasionally that strength is valuable outside TSO.

I nominate ADDRESS SYSCALL and ADDRESS ISREDIT.  What other languages are
comparable?  OK.  The SYSCALL functions are mostly in C RTL, and ISREDIT
commands callable from HLASM, C, COBOL, ... but harder.

Now that ISPF Edit has regex, it would be precious if it suupported
back-references.