Mike Beer wrote on 7/7/2022 10:55 PM:
Other candidates could include PL/I - which is/was very common in Europe -

Even though I haven't written a PL/I program since college, I still think it's the second-best language and I'm disappointed that it's rarely used in the USA.  (Best language?  HLA with structured programming macros!)

REXX

Good, but slow.  I converted a CPU pig PC program from REXX to Perl and it took 1/3 of the CPU time.

  and maybe APL.

Ya gotta be kidding.  First of all, everyone knows that APL is a write-only language.  Second, what fraction of programmers these days know APL?  Maybe 0.00001%?  And my recollection is that APL is a CPU pig.

Applications that were created many years ago work with virtually no
modifications.

In the early days of MVS/XA, i.e., 31 bit addressing, I had a very old TSO command load module but I didn't have easy access to the source.  It abended S0C4 when run on MVS/XA.  So I marked it AMODE31 and it ran fine.  Cleanly written in Assembler, in the early days of MVS/370.

/Leonard

Best regards
Mike
-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> Im Auftrag von
Timothy Sipples
Gesendet: Friday, July 08, 2022 7:37
An: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Betreff: Re: NOTSP The Latin of Software Code Is Thriving - The New York
Times

It's *so* weird! Imagine writing this:

"Sarah, age 23, rejected her college advisor's career advice and started
work at Boeing in Seattle last year. Her friends who mainly pursued careers
in banking and law outright laugh at her for designing airplanes, the
antiquated vehicles invented well over a century ago. But Sarah takes their
ribbing in stride even as she works on designs that past generations of
engineers could mostly comprehend."

Or this:

"Last night Olivia Rodrigo won the 2022 GRAMMY for Best New Artist. It's
ironic that the Recording Academy uses the word 'new' to describe any award
they hand out. Audio recording was invented all the way back in the 1800s
with only modest incremental improvements since. And it's particularly
galling that Rodrigo has never publicly thanked Thomas Edison and other
music recording pioneers for contributing to her success in the ancient
industry she chose. Of course everyone knows music is dying. One analyst in
Ecuador predicts that within 10 years the number of people who listen to
music at least once per day will fall by 92.4%."

Here's how I think of programming languages. There's a very short list of
programming languages that are both so common, so useful, and (relatedly) so
adaptable (incrementally improved, integrated, extended, etc.) that they
have (for all intents and purposes) achieved "immortality." COBOL is
definitely on this distinguished short list. Other things being equal it's a
great characteristic when you're making investment choices including career
choices.