On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 at 01:08, Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com> wrote:

> The U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has announced
> four algorithms as new NIST standards in quantum-safe cryptography.
[...]
> The significance of this NIST announcement is that you can (and should) start
> evaluating your systems and software for quantum safety if you haven't
> started already. There's still some more work on the standards front (such as
> an update to TLS) that's expected, but NIST's announcement is big news.

And of course everyone's completely forgotten the Dual_EC_DRBG debacle
and are *so* sure it couldn't happen again. There's an interesting
paper “Dueling Over DUAL_EC_DRBG: The Consequences of Corrupting a
Cryptographic Standardization Process“, albeit from an extremely
US-centric perspective, at
https://harvardnsj.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/13/2022/06/Vol13Iss2_Kostyuk-Landau_Dual-EC-DRGB.pdf
. Why anyone still trusts NIST after NSA's subversion of Dual_EC_DRBG
pretty much seems to come down to "we don't trust them, but we can't
trust anyone else more".

Tony H.