From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of Bob
Bridges
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2022 8:33 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: CIO vs CMO

I've not seen that, but I've a nitpick about something else in your question:
You said "...versus IT teams managing it".  If you meant that the way you said
it, ok, but I've been places where "managing" was thought to mean "deciding who
gets access to".  I just want to take issue with that misunderstanding, which I
realize may not be what you meant.

The security admins do indeed "manage" access to the data, but they do it (or
ought to do it) at the direction of the data owners.  In theory the CEO owns
all the data, but of course he doesn't bother with that; in practice it's
delegated downward until it reaches a knowledgeable user.  So the GL manager
owns the GL data, or delegates it to one of his staff who knows what datasets
are out there.  The HR files and production processes are owned by someone in
HR, and so on.  I envision it like the old feudalism, with each manager holding
ownership of the data and processes entrusted to him from above and parceling
out portions of it to underlings who will hold it in fief, until the downward
delegation reaches the person who knows what needs to be done.  The security
admins should (but often don't) have a record of who's been named the owner of
each set of data, and that's the person who should (repeat should) approve
requests for access.

---

/* -attributed to Alexander Pope:
Be not the first by whom the new is tried Nor yet the last to lay the old
aside. */