Good morning all,

We are curious about the reasoning behind the QUINEW status for SMS volume(s).
We use DISNEW for SMS volumes that we want to eventually phase out and we
discovered there were older volumes that had an existing assignment of QUINEW
within some storage groups.

It appears that the status of QUINEW would allow SMS to allocate space on those
volumes if needed. I had never heard of that status before until recently when
I was cleaning up the different storage pools.

Imagine my surprise when I set the volume status of those that had QUINEW to
DISNEW and a couple of batch jobs failed. I had to throw a few mod-27’s into
the pool to bring up the free space.

Apparently, QUINEW works differently then DISNEW and we were wondering about
the history and reasoning behind that status?
Does anyone know why it was created and to what purpose would it serve, or does
it pre-date DISNEW?

Thanks up front.
Claude