This is one of those rare cases when Gil stays on topic and also I agree
completely ;-)

In the C standards, these are “multi-character integer character constants”
aka multi-chars and resolve to type int.
All of the issues that Gil points out are "implementation dependent"

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies, LLC
http://coztoolkit.com
Dovetailed Technologies: +1 636.300.0901

Note: Our website and domain name have changed from dovetail.com to
coztoolkit.com