I think the original linklist is still active, shutting down LLA and VLF, only used to fetch members faster. I think you need to create a new LINKLST

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.4.0?topic=command-updating-lnklst-concatenations

and make it active

Carmen

On 8/22/2022 1:32 PM, Pommier, Rex wrote:
Hi list,

I don't know if this is specifically a Syncsort issue or a more generic
confusion about linklist datasets.  Here goes.

We have the SYNCLINK library defined in the linklist.  We have installed
Precisely's IEBGENER replacement as part of our install.  We determined
SYNCLINK was too small.  I allocated a larger version of the library on the
same volume as the current one.  We had an IPL scheduled for Saturday so right
before the IPL, I logged in and did the library swap.  My process was (as I
thought) pretty standard.

Shut down LLA and VLF
SETPROG LNKLST,UNALLOCATE
Rename the 2 libraries to get the new, larger one with the right name
SETPROG LNKLST,ALLOCATE
Start LLA and VLF.

The operator then needed to run a couple pre-IPL jobs that use IEBGENER.  They
failed with
IEW4009I FETCH FAILED FOR MODULE IEBGENER FROM DDNAME -LNKLST- BECAUSE OF AN
I/O ERROR.
IEW4005I FETCH FOR MODULE IEBGENER FROM DDNAME -LNKLST- FAILED BECAUSE IEWFETCH
ISSUED RC 0F AND REASON 40
CSV031I LIBRARY ACCESS FAILED FOR MODULE IEBGENER, RETURN CODE 24, REASON CODE
26080021, DDNAME *LNKLST*

The manuals were less than helpful.  IPLing took care of the problem but I'm
not clear as to either what I did wrong or if my understanding of the
UNALLOCATE/ALLOCATE is wrong.  I was under the impression that doing the
UNALLOCATE then ALLOCATE rebuilt the linklist.  It appears now to me that all
the UNALLOCATE does is remove the enqueues on the datasets and ALLOCATE simply
reestablishes the enqueues, still pointing to the original location, but even
that doesn't compute in my mind because I didn't change any locations of either
the old or new libraries.  Or was it a mismatch between the linklist and the
LLA, and that possibly the linklist was still pointing to the original location
of the SYNCLINK library but the LLA is now pointing to the new location?  Would
I have not had the problem if, instead of just doing the UNALLOCATE/ALLOCATE, I
would have built and activated a LNKLST01 concatenation?

I see the cautions in the system commands manual against moving or deleting a
linklist dataset while the allocations are inactive and I obviously got burned
by disobeying that warning.  I'm just trying to figure out what the UNALLOCATE
is doing and how to not have this happen when I have to perform this kind of
maintenance.

TIA,

Rex

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format. Thank you.