Going back to the first message...

I'm getting this trying to use a self-signed certificate. I put it into
gskkyman and when I try to connect (outbound from z/OS) I get

Certificate validation error

from GSK_SECURE_SOCKET_INIT. Running a gsktrace shows:
09/07/2022-17:30:14 Thd-1 ERROR check_cert_extensions_3280_and_later():

*Basic Constraints extension must be critical for CA Certificate*

For my CA with OPENSSL  I have openssl-ca.cnf file with

[ req_extensions ]

subjectKeyIdentifier   = hash
authorityKeyIdentifier = keyid:always ! issuer:alwaysz
*basicConstraints       = critical,CA:TRUE, pathlen:0*
keyUsage               = keyCertSign, digitalSignature,cRLSign

It looks like you may not have this,

On Linux I use

openssl x509 -in cs256.pem -text -noout|less

and it gives me

X509v3 extensions:
            X509v3 Subject Key Identifier:
                58:30:AF:55:C7:
            X509v3 Authority Key Identifier:
                keyid:58:30:...

*X509v3 Basic Constraints: critical                CA:TRUE, pathlen:0
          X509v3 Key Usage:                 Digital Signature,
Certificate Sign, CRL Sign*

Display your certificate, and check it.

Colin