Thank you everyone      This is what I thought.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Steve Smith
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2022 8:50 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: bpxpqrmxx and $SYSNAME vs &SYSNANE

The examples from the FM seem to generally use &-symbols when available, and
$-symbols when not.  $VERSION for example isn't a system-provided symbol,
although I assign it from &SYSR1.

On a rather tangential rant, I am annoyed with people who gratuitously stuff
$$$ all over in volsers, dsnames, and anything else they get their hands on,
evidently just because they think $$$ are so sexy.  Inside USS, these become
extremely annoying in trying to figure out the required escapage.

sas