Cross-posted to Linux-390, IBMVM, and IBM-Main

At the Linux Foundation's Open Mainframe Project meeting this week, it was announced that beginning in 2023, the OMP will have a z15 available for any Open Source project that wants to make use of it. According to the announcement at https://www.openmainframeproject.org/press/2022/09/21/open-mainframe-announces-new-mainframe "...this mainframe infrastructure will be available for broad open source projects as a development, test, and continuous delivery environment, enabling developers within these communities to be able to support both z/OS and Linux on s390x."

The z15 will be hosted at Marist College, adding to their already good-sized menagerie of IBM Z hardware. The hardware is being donated by Broadcom Mainframe Software Division.

While we've had similar resources available for Linux-based OSS projects for some time, this is the first that I'm aware of the availability of no-cost access to IBM Z hardware for z/OS-based Open Source developers. It will be interesting to see if any more z/OS-based OSS projects come along to make use of this.

Mark Post