On 26/9/22 10:43, Charles Mills wrote:
It's trivial to write an MVS I/O package if you have a C compiler.
One might ask then why IBM has not done so.

I would suggest that they have not had a requirement. IBM use Python in their analytics products and for new stuff like Ansible. Same with golang, they need it for Kubernetes and OpenShift for z/CX containers. I doubt very much if many customers have tried golang. It's a great language now it supports generics. As fast as C++ with many advantages.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of David Crayford
Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2022 6:57 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM python documentation?

On 26/9/22 07:34, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:
I know Rocket's port of python has some documented enhancements to support MVS dataset access among
other things, but I have failed to find any documentation on the IBM websites for an IBM-produced
"python Programmers Guide" (or similar) that would describe and provide examples for any
"IBM-specific" functional enhancements to the base language facilities.

Is there any such documentation?  Or are the python.org documentation websites
the only reference material available for the IBM port of python? (i.e., no
functional enhancements at all are provided in the IBM port)
Correct! It's trivial to write an MVS I/O package if you have a C compiler.