100% agreement. And it's not just interesting glyphs I've had problems with. Any code point > 0x7F can get interesting.

On 2/10/22 11:09, Phil Smith III wrote:
David Crayford expounded on some issues with UTF-8 *on z/OS* and
_BPX_AUTOCVT=ALL. All legitimate, all real problems, but really
z/OS issues, not UTF-8 issues. That is, these don't reflect problems with UTF-8
itself. What we see all the time is data that's
ISO8859-1 and is treated as 7-bit ASCII (which mostly works) or UTF-8 (which
sorta works). The problem, of course, is that every
character in this note works fine in that scenario, but as soon as you get into
some interesting glyphs, Bad Things happen. And then
it's "Your product isn't handling this right"--no, you lied to it and are
paying the price, sorry! Calling a tail a leg doesn't make
it one, even if you can whack things with both of them.