Paul Gorlinsky wrote:
>There are some notes that the language environment is dropping off some
>prior versions of COBOL.

Do you have a link to the IBM Language Environment documentation to which you
are referring? I'm not sure what you're referring to.

>IBM is requiring V6 COBOL on the most current version of z/OS of which LE
>is a major component.

Although I don't speak for IBM (as a reminder), no, IBM isn't doing that. IBM
requires that you adhere to your contractual agreements with IBM including
license agreements (and otherwise respect applicable legal provisions such as
copyrights and patents), but that's about as far as it goes.

Let's separate runtime from compilation. In terms of runtime IBM continues to
support COBOL programs compiled with older, unsupported COBOL compilers. If you
suspect a defect in the z/OS runtime you should open a problem case with IBM.
Fierce dedication to backward compatibility is one of the hallmarks of this
platform, and to my knowledge this IBM commitment is enduring.

In terms of compilers IBM recommends that you run an IBM supported compiler.
Currently this means Enterprise COBOL Version 6 (recent release, preferably
current release) unless you have a support extension for an older release. You
may wish to recompile older programs for performance and other reasons using
the newer compiler (or to use Automatic Binary Optimizer), but you are not
required to do so.

— — — — —
Timothy Sipples
Senior Architect
Digital Assets, Industry Solutions, and Cybersecurity
IBM zSystems/LinuxONE, Asia-Pacific
sipp...@sg.ibm.com