On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 at 14:06, Pierre Fichaud <pr...@videotron.ca> wrote:

> To All,
>     I want replace userid passwords in the RACF database.
>     I have encrypted password in a flat file.

Where did you get such an encrypted password?

>     I labored to get ICHEINTY working but finally did.
>
>     R_admin was much easier than ICHEINTY.

Not surprisingly. ICHEINTY is a pretty low-level interface. R_Admin is
similar to issuing an ALU command.

>     For both ICHEINTY and R-admin, I get return and reason codes set to 0.
>
>     But the password does not get changed.

Does not get changed (i.e. you can still logon with the old password), or
isn't what you expect after your code runs?

>     My SYSPROG temporarily made my userid RACF special and still neither
> worked.
>     I don't know why.
>     My load library is APF-authorized.
>     I was in supervisor state for R_admin.

You wouldn't get RC=0 if you weren't suitably authorized. I don't believe
SPECIAL makes a difference for this kind of thing.

>     I turned to RACROUTE REQUEST=VERIFY,TYPE=REPLACE.

Do you mean REQUEST=EXTRACT,TYPE=REPLACE or REQUEST=VERIFY with NEWPASS= ?.

The former is about the closest thing to ICHEINTY for this purpose, but
generally easier to use.

The latter is essentially a user logon-with-password-change, so you have to
supply the current password.

    After fixing one thing, it ran cleanly and it worked..
>     I was able to login into TSO with the new password.

Again, this is fine if you have an encrypted password to bang in there. But
the use cases for this are on the rare side.

You may want to think about what you expect to happen to the user's
password history when you do this.

>     Is there something I missed with ICHEINTY and R_admin ?

Presumably. I do know that I have used ICHEINTY to replace passwords and
phrases, and it works fine for me.

>     Thanks to those who responded before, especially Peter Relson.

Regards, Pierre

 Tony H.